Do's and Dont's For International Students

Posted in Static

General rules and regulations

·         A student must abide by Malaysian law at all times.

·         A student has committed a case of misconduct when:

·         He is found guilty of criminal charges by the court;

·         He is involved in any jobs, trades or the like, on part-time or full time basis, which are deemed illegal in the Immigration Ordinance 1959 and the Immigration             Rules and Regulations 1963 or other laws or that which could affect his studies.

·         A student is to abide by all the rules and regulations that are enforced by the institution.

·         A student must at all times respect the culture, norms and beliefs of the locals.


 Student pass

·         Any international student who wishes to study in Malaysia is required to obtain a Student Pass.

·         Application has to be made through the respective Educational Institution prior to entry.


Permission to work part-time

·         A student is permitted to do part-time work for 20 hours per week during semester breaks or any holiday exceeding 7 days.

·         A student is permitted to work part-time in Restaurants, Petrol Kiosks, Mini Markets and Hotels only (excluding singer, masseur, musician, GRO and other    

      activities deemed immoral) as long as the student pass remains valid.

·         Students are not permitted to work as cashier.

·         Permission to work part-time is extendible by the Immigration Department depending on the student’s attendance and academic reports.

·         Application from students studying in Private Higher Educational Institutions must be submitted by the respective institutions to the

·         Immigration headquarters in Putrajaya; while for students from Public Higher Educational Institutions to the nearest Immigration Office.


 Drugs and poison

It is considered a serious offence if a student:

·         is found to be in possession of any kind of drugs or poisons. The term ‘drug’ is as defined in the Dangerous Drug Act 1952;

·         is found to provide, to supply, to distribute, to offer or to prepare any of the above drugs or poisons to other parties;

·         is involved in drug abuse of any kind.


Weapons and dangerous materials

It is considered a serious offence if a student:

is found to be in possession or in supervision of any dangerous weapons or explosive materials. ‘Weapon’ is as defined in the Weapons Act 1971.


Traffic rules and regulations

A student who owns or uses any type of vehicle must:

fulfil the requirements under the Road Transportation Act 1987 and all subsections under the Act, on campus and public roads.


Use of force

It is considered an offence if a student:

·         partakes in any kind of activities that involve force, extortion, molestation, harassment or any form of disturbance among themselves or towards others;

·         involves directly in any form of ragging or bullying, or abuse or the like inside or outside of campus;

·         uses force, aggression or threat to cause hurt to others;

·         engages in any physical aggression such as riots or fights, or commits an assault on any parties;

·         exhibits verbal and/or physical behaviour of a racist or prejudiced nature towards any other member of the community inside or outside the campus.



It is considered a serious offence if any groups of students or organisations of students plan, organise, attend or take part in any assembly or meeting at any given places without permission from the relevant authorities. A student is to abide by all the rules and regulations that are enforced in his institution.


Academic integrity

A student is not allowed any form of falsification and plagiarism i.e copying or allowing people to copy, plagiarize during exams, lab assignments, preparation of coursework or thesis and the like.



Students who reside in an on-campus residence are to abide by the rules of accommodation set by their respective institutions.

Students who reside off-campus need to take on an even greater obligation of respecting the neighbourhood standards and watching out for neighbours.

Students are advised not to cause trouble or emit noises in any way that are of disturbance to others.


Safety and Emergency

Be safety conscious, especially in the first few weeks as you get used to your new environment and culture.

Take extra care of your safety in high risk areas, especially if you need to go out late at night.

If you are encountered with a real emergency, the first point of contact would be the International Student Office KUPTM

Call 999 - police, ambulance, fire stations and civil defence rescue units if you are in trouble. (Warning: Under Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998, the penalty for misuse of the communication network isa fine of RM50 000, or one year's jail, or both).


For further assistance, you may call International Student Office general line at 603 92856486 during office hours.

Download Form

Written by webmaster KUPTM. Posted in Static

1. KUPTM International Student Application Form <click here>

2. Student Pass Requirements <click here>

3. Requirements for Cetification of Original Documents <click here>

4. Guidance for completing Personal Bonds <click here>

5. Personal Bonds Template <click here>

6. Personal Bond Fees <click here>

7. Multiple Entry Visa Fee Table <click here>

8. Requirements for Photograph <click here>

9. NOC Countries <click here>

10. Medical and Health Insurance Package <click here>

11. Guidelines for medical health certification for International Students <click here>


**For further information,please browse **

Application Process

Written by webmaster KUPTM. Posted in Static

 Step 1:  Complete the application form and checklist

  • Download International Student Application Form (Please click at Download link)
  • 2 sets of passport copies (all pages,detail page in colour). Passport must have at least 2 years validity
  • 3 certified copies of original results and academic certificates 
  • 6 passport-sized photographs with blue blackground (3.5cm*5cm)
  • No Objection Certificate/Letter of Eligibility (only applicable to Sub-Saharan countries)
  • TOEFL/IELTS Certificate
  • Declaration Letter - if applicable - discrepancy of name on passport & academic transcripts; to be issued by home country Ministry of Education OR by home country Embassy/Consulate.

 *If the above documents are in a language other than English,it MUST be translated to English and certified as true copies by the relevant authorities.


Payments required (Admission Fee):

            a)  Processing Fee : MYR500

            b)  EMGS Fee: MYR2000

             *Fees can be paid via bank draft to "Kolej Poly-Tech MARA Sdn Bhd" and make a copy of the payment together with student name, passport number and contact  number.

 Kindly courier all the above mentioned documents to:

       International Students Office,

       Level 2,

       Kolej Universiti Poly-Tech MARA,

       Jalan 6/91,Taman Shamelin Perkasa,

       Cheras,56100 Kuala Lumpur,  



Step 2: Offer Letter

An offer letter will be issued after KUPTM KL has received your application and payment.


Step 3: Submission your application to Education Malaysia Global Services (EMGS)

KUPTM KL will submit your application to EMGS in order to process the student pass.The process will take about 14 working days*

*depends on processing time by EMGS

*we may not be able to obtain a Student Pass for you  on time if your application is received less than 3 months from the programme intake dates. We will assist in your Student Pass application but we will not be held liable for any change in policies by the Ministry of Education (MOE)/EMGS in regards to issuance of Student Pass.


Step 4: Approval/Rejection of application

  • If application is approved : KUPTM KL will inform the student and a Visa Approval Letter (VAL) will be couriered to the student
  • If application is rejected : KUPTM KL will inform the student and the Health & Insurance fee shall be refunded


Step 5: Application for visa

Once you have obtained your Visa Approval Letter (VAL), read your VAL carefully and do check with your local immigration department or Malaysian embassy whether a visa is required to enter Malaysia.

However,you must bring your VAL to enter Malaysia and you may need to produce it to the Malaysia Immigration at airport.


Step 6: Arrival
You must inform KUPTM KL of your arrival details at least one week before arrival date. KUPTM KL staff will assist you to get the immigration clearance at Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA).





Written by webmaster KUPTM. Posted in Static

We realize that finding a suitable and cost effective place to live is most important to all new students, especially those who have come to a foreign land. We will assist you in your effort to find a suitable accommodation for yourself.

Student Hostel

Unfortunately, we do not provide accommodation within the college compound. Nonetheless, there are several student hostels which consist of 3 to 6-bedroom apartments located within 5km radius from the college. Each apartment is able to accommodate 4 to 12 occupants, depending on its size and for your information; every one of them is fully furnished.  More importantly, we have also hired a few wardens to look into your welfare.

All students’ apartments are equipped with the following facilities:

  • A common sitting area with sofa, television set and  a set of dining table
  • A kitchen with a cooker, refrigerator, electric kettle and washing machine
  • A few bedrooms (single or twin sharing) with beds, mattresses, pillows, bed sheets, pillow cases, wardrobes, study desks and chairs
  • Wi-Fi
  • The rental charge for the accommodation ranges from RM500 to RM700 per student, depending on the room type. This is inclusive of utilities and internet connection.




Applying for Accommodation

We will send to all successful applicants all the necessary details about how to apply for an accommodation in your offer. Nevertheless, we will only process your  

application for student hostel once you have confirmed acceptance to study here and paid your fees.


Renting Private Accommodation

Another option that you could consider is renting a private apartment or house on your own or sharing it with friends. In such a case, you are responsible for the

property and have to sign a rental contract with a landlord and abide by it.


Rental charges depend greatly on the distance of the house or apartment from the college.  The approximate cost of renting a room in a house near the college is

RM300-RM500 per month, but this again is dependent on the size, location and facilities provided. Generally, the further away you live from the centre of Kuala Lumpur,

the cheaper are the rents. Unfortunately, this may increase your travel time and costs. Utility and internet connection bills are normally not included in rental charges and

are often shared with housemates. 


At present, there are several places like Arena Shamelin Apartment, Shamelin Perkasa Apartment, Angsana Hilir Condo, Bukit Pandan Condominium and U-Thant Villa that

are situated near the College. The estimated monthly rental of any 3-bedroom and 2-bathroom apartment is between MYR1, 500 to MYR2, 000.